Barbecued Back Ribs
2 baby back ribs cut in half
300 ml tomato ketchup
3cm length ginger, grated
200 ml soy sauce
2 teaspoons rosemary, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground star anise
5 tablespoons runny honey
4 gloves garlic, grated
5 tablespoons dry sherry (or sake if preferred)
- Combine all the ingredients except the ribs in a bowl and whisk until well mixed.
- Pour over the ribs and leave in the fridge to marinate overnight.
- Place the ribs in a saucepan, pour over the marinade and add just enough water to cover the ribs.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 hour covered.
- Transfer the ribs to a hot BBQ and grill.
- Reduce the sauce in a work and every 2 minutes or so brush the ribs with the reduced BBQ sauce.
- Continue cooking until ribs are nicely caramelized and completely covered in the BBQ sauce.