BBQ Short Ribs
¼ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup cider vinegar
½ cup ketchup
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
3 tablespoons tomato paste
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon dry English mustard powder
1 tablespoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground cayenne
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a large saucepan and simmer until mixture thickens to a syrup consistency (usually 10 – 15 minutes).
- Add water stock and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and add ribs.
- Simmer for approx 20 minutes.
- Allow ribs to cool on a dish lined with foil.
- After 15 minutes, wrap the ribs in the foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Simmer the remaining liquid reducing until it becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Cool and refrigerate. Save this sauce to baste the ribs while grilling.
- Grill ribs for 30 - 40 minutes, turning once or twice and basting every 10 to 15 minutes.